Saturday, April 12, 2014

frankie magazine

Last month I was lucky enough to work on the cover for one of my favorite magazines, Frankie, and it's on newsstands now. It was a total dream job because I got to draw exactly what I love most: dream girls and boys wandering around with their plants and ice cream and cats. I thought I'd share a little process because it was so fun to draw, and my unedited drawings can be interesting on their own.

I painted everything in black ink so I could place and layer them exactly where I wanted in photoshop and pick my colors out carefully. It's nice to do it this way because color is one of my favorite parts, and I get to play around with it more. I drew the figures first, and then the background colors for their clothes and objects with tracing paper.

And the final! You get a little peek at some guys who suffered from cropping. Thanks so much to AD Holly McCauley!

8 comments:

  1. ficou muito giro, parabéns!

    http://passagedelessert.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, so beautiful! Congratulations!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this so much! girl with stripy shirt + backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so dream job.. congratulation! > .< and I love your illustration specially background color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jump roping girl is my favorite! Congratulations to you, how exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW leah! I love this and I am a big fan of Frankie and you!! You are a massive inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this frankie cover. congrats. so wonderful to see some progress pics too! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so lovely! and so cool to see a bit of the process, id love to see more of that. you're amazing:)

    ReplyDelete